I have carved out several of my spare extra Blood Bowl coins to be able to make custom coins for teams that haven’t got any. I have made one for my 5th edition metal Tomb Kings team that you can see in this post and one for my 4th edition metal Lizardmen team that can be seen in this post.

Old World Alliance Blood Bowl Coin Motive

Forge World released packs with coins and markers for Chaos Renegades and Underworld Denizens back in 2017. Old World Alliance never received anything as they weren't an existing team by that point first being introduced in June 2020 in Spike! Journal Issue 9. I haven’t figured out what to do for their team token yet but this is my take on a coin for them.

I took some inspiration from their transfer sheets that you get if you buy their team box which is one sprue from each of the three races; humans, dwarfs and halflings. I made some svg elements to make the shapes for the coin. Here is a link to download the svg, if you are interested but it might be worth reading the rest of the post before you get your hopes up… The middle is basically the original transfer then to the left is the alternative motif on the shield and to the right are some more of the shapes stacked onto of each other such as whole swords, shield and ball. I made shapes and negative of the shapes so you can decide for yourself how you would like to cut it out.


Blood Bowl Coin Carved Blank

This is a spare coin from the Dungeon Bowl set that I have carved out to be blank. The inside space of a coin is about 20.6mm.

My original plan was to cut out the shapes in chipboard and then do a bit of sculpting on top. That didn’t quite work out. I tried to use a cricut to cut it out. I will do a separate blog post on the utility and the short comings of a cricut and it applied to the hobby. There is way too much frustration and complaints to fit here…


Blood Bowl Old World Alliance Coin Motive Attempts

So I tried again but with cardstock. Still no great success. I did also try carving a sword from a spare high elf arm but doesn’t seem like the way to go. I think for this project I will place the rough paper cut outs in the coin to get some scale and outlines. I will then sculpt over them with milliput. I will re-attempt this cardboard approach with something less detailed like a big rune for my 3rd edition chaos dwarfs.


More to follow in part two…