Exciting times, we are treated to a beautiful night goblin team with squigs a plenty. Lovely models. A spike hopefully packed with night goblin lore. I do need to say I called it with the chomp markers!.

Blood Bowl Night Goblin Team The Eight Peaks Loonatics

You should go read the Warhammer community article if you haven't already. It doesn't have much on the information side but it has all the pictures. As we didn't get much information, I had a look at the Secret Leauge Squig Team on fumbbl.

Secret League is an open environment which provides a home for a variety of custom rosters on fumbbl. They have quite a track record of being turned into official rosters: Bretonnia Team, Khorne Team, Snotling Team, Big Uns Team (This has been turned into the 2020 Second Season Edition Black Orc team, and Big Uns were put in the Orc team), Sylvania Pact Team (the standard 2020 Second Season Edition Vampire team essentially changed into a version of Sylvania pact).

This is what the Squig roster looks like on the Secret League:

  • 0-16 Squig Herders
  • 0-2 Cave Squig
  • 0-4 Squig Hopper
  • 0-1 Giant Cave Squig
  • 0-1 Mangler Squig
  • 0-1 Squig Gobba

In Games Workshop's version of the team, Squig Herders have become their own position instead of being linemen. I didn't expect to see Squig Gobba or Mangler Squigs. Maybe we can call the squig wielding fanatics a mini mangler but they are more like 'ball and chain'. I’d rather have an original ball and chain for aesthetic reasons and that they are one of night goblins iconic quirks but I'm not too upset as we are getting a night goblin team. Anyway GW seems to have diverged a bit from the Secret League roster.  

In today's post I thought it would be interesting to compare sculpts of this new team with older models that they may have taken inspiration from.

Blood Bowl Night Goblin Team The Eight Peaks Loonatics Herder and Growler Hound Squig

Once I saw the mohawk on the squig I immediately thought of the Squig Hound, named Growler from 1995's 'Warhammer Quest: Lair of the Orc Lord'. Once I'd seen him I wondered if there were any other nods to previous sculpts. The Squig Herder is a goblin with a pointy stick. Don't get me wrong, I love the foam finger prodder, it's hilarious.

Blood Bowl Night Goblin Team The Eight Peaks Loonatics The Chase 2009

I spotted the bells on this guys hat and thought of 'The Case' from 2009, even the hands and tongue bring them closer in resemblance. 

Blood Bowl Night Goblin Team The Eight Peaks Loonatics Not Ooligan Squig Herder

I first thought this guy was an Ooligan and started looking at old models to compare but then realised that he is, of course, the second Squig Herder. In the 'Games Workshop Orcs & Goblins Collectors Guide' from 2003 the sound based Squig Herders are labelled as 'Squig Noisers' which I found quite amusing.

Blood Bowl Night Goblin Team The Eight Peaks Loonatics Anvil Squig

The non-mohawk swung squig (brand new sentences) has scales. Nothing spectacular about that, it's a texture detail I'm very familiar with through the entire Lizardmen range, trolls and such. However, when looking at it, to my surprise, it isn't something we have seen previously on the squigs. These are the best  examples I could find. Classic squig 7 was included here even though I've mainly seen him painted all red and it reads more like a different skin texture rather than scales on top. Cave squig 3 has some scales but they are smaller and then more like spikes along the spine rather than your typical Lizardmen style scales. From Age of Sigmar we have Klonk the anvil/rockbrow squig, who is probably the closest we have have, but in this case I think the sculptor just wanted to give this little fella a look to distinguish him from his mohawk brother.  

Blood Bowl Night Goblin Team The Eight Peaks Loonatics Squig Hopper

This Squig Hopper also reminded of some other past models. I always wondered if Squig Hopper 4 was intended to hold a weapon or have outstretched fingers but it wasn't possible for casting and durability. I do believe that they left him unarmed to differentiate from his brother Squig Hopper 2 who brandished a wooden plank short sword. Another group the pose is similar to is the catchers of the second edition goblin Blood Bowl team.

Blood Bowl Night Goblin Team Troll and Classic Squig 2 Best Squig Ever

Would they release a new plastic troll? I would like that but I don’t think they will as they already have one in plastic so I will have to get some more Rockgut Troggoths and attempt something like this (Cyanide's Blood Bowl II) to distinguish them from my Snotling trolls. 

Sadly I can see no reference to the best squig of all time in this new team. Classic Squig 2. Best boy. Happy Smiley boy.

Blood Bowl Star Player Madcap Miggz

Speaking of squigs we didn't see mentioned, the Star player 'Madcap Miggz' and his steed 'Toofy Terror', have not been seen. Some people are speculating on reddit about shapes in the background and with the plastic release of Morg, minotaur, and rat ogre, it could happen. I'm not sure there are enough teams he can play for to warrant a release but one can always hope. We didn't see anything about star players in the Tomb Kings or Bretonia Spike! so only time will tell.